Current status: looking. (Hire me!)
My favorite language is Python, and I'd like to get back to using it as my primary tool. I've mostly used it to write web applications and am pretty familiar with Django and Flask, as well as a variety of other packages powering the Python ecosystem.
Somewhere in my distant past lie Bootstrap, jQuery, Backbone, Marionette, WordPress, Zend Framework, and CodeIgniter.
Senior Software Engineer, friendbuy, 9/17–present
- Implemented a number of small and medium changes to the main Flask/SQLAlchemy platform.
- Played a major role in a full rewrite of the platform, using TypeScript, Node, AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, Kinesis, Apex, Terraform, and other technologies. Responsibilities:
- Participated in architecture and code design discussions, code reviews, and backlog grooming.
- Designed, implemented, and tested major features:
- Internal Logger: Logging package importable by all our services that enables them to log to a central table, with the logs also showing up on Slack.
- Dynamic Tags: Comprehensive set of utilities for template rendering, primarily for use with emails.
- Email Delivery Status Tracking
- Added swaths of missing tests to core services.
- Implemented numerous simple CRUD endpoints for API completeness.
- Significantly improved the internal API testing tool built as a curl wrapper and added an interactive installer for it.
Senior Engineer, SimpleLegal, 6/15–7/17
- Implemented multiple complex modules within SimpleLegal's Django apps:
- Approval Workflow: Intake rule management system which allows the user to create complex rules that determine how incoming data is handled — specifically to whom it's assigned.
- Matter Status: Framework for assigning statuses to matters and thus affecting matter behavior throughout the site.
- simpleGPG: AWS Lambda function used as an internal microservice to encrypt/decrypt data via GNUPG.
- Budgets: Comprehensive module for creation and management of budgets based on a variety of attributes across a multitude of objects.
- LEDES validation framework: Library of utility functions for validation of LEDES files.
- Made numerous small changes to backend and frontend portions of the sites, as well as their infrastructure.
- Implemented easily repeatable development environments, initially with Vagrant and Salt, and afterwards using Docker.
- Merged four distinct repositories making up two applications into one monorepo, rewriting history to change file paths and developing a new deployment script in the process.
- Participated in code reviews both as a reviewer and reviewee.
- Interviewed a number of engineering job candidates.
Software Developer, BLITZ Digital Studios, 6/13–5/15
- Tech lead on multiple projects of varying scopes.
- Designed and/or implemented website features including data models, mobile detection, deployment scripts, development environment setups, and others.
- Provided ongoing maintenance and support for various projects, some for over a year.
- Major role:
- Minor role:
- Primrose Schools
- Kaiser Permanente Thrive and Viva Bien
- Major role:
Frontend Engineer, Triptrotting, 4/12–11/12
- Re-architected the frontend (markup and style) for all of Triptrotting.com.
- Strategized with the entire team about the direction of the company, product features, development schedule, etc.
- Used Flask, SQLAlchemy, github3.py, and AWS SES to build the backend, sending users periodic reminders of their starred GitHub projects.
- Simple Git hook framework, consisting of one small shell script and a naming convention that drives its functionality.
- Used Django, Stripe API, and Twilio API to build the backend, taking payment from the sender and sending adorable otter pictures and puns to the recipient.
- Environment variable parsing library, focused on providing a minimal API.
- Small static site dedicated to my favorite PEP.
- Vim plugin for opening GitHub's issue and PR templates in a buffer.
# TODO: add comments, Write the Docs Los Angeles, 10/4/2018
- I gave a talk about inline comments at the Write the Docs Los Angeles meetup.
- The talk focused on somewhat unusual advice for writing more effective comments.
- Slides are on the Talks page.
- California State University, Los Angeles
- B.A. Art—Graphic Design/Visual Communication 2011
- University of California, San Diego
- Computer Science and Engineering (coursework)
- Fluent in English, Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian
- Familiar with Spanish, German, Latin